Ahhhh Facebook. My friend. My nemesis. My timesink. One day I love you, the next day I hate you. It’s always been a rocky relationship.
I’ve been mulling this over in my head for a while and just in the past week, I came to a decision. I need a facebook break. I need a break from the constant barrage of photos with witty sayings on them. The constant political postings and debates. The constant updates about the insanely mundane.
And I know that I am just as big a culprit. I love posting my weekly Wesley photos and I love seeing photos from my friends’ lives. But seriously, what did we do before facebook? Oh yea, we picked up the phone. We called each other to talk. How far away from that have we gone that we don’t even call people on their birthday’s anymore? It’s sad. I hate that we can go forever without talking with someone, yet feel like we are still connected just because we see their updates on facebook. Sorry, but that’s just plain stupid.
What facebook is good for:
- It’s a great place for collectives of photos and videos
- It’s nice to be able to stay in touch with those from around the country and world
- It’s a great place to form a community of people with similar interests
- It’s wonderful for organizing events
- It’s perfect for advertising for businesses and for them to connect with their customers
What facebook is NOT good for:
- Posting every single moment of your day
- Being your only source of communication with those you love
- Sending important messages (I never check my in box because I get so much freakin’ spam)
- Getting your news (yep I said it!)
- Wishing a good friend or family member happy birthday
So Kyle and I have both decided to take a break. A facebook break. But really, it’s going to be a we-are-going-to-spoil-Wes-instead break. A we-can’t-wait-to-explore-Syracuse-more break. A it’s-soon-to-be-spring-and-we-are-going-to-spend-all-our-time-outside break. We don’t want to be attached to our computers, we both spend enough time on them at work – and we especially want to set a good message for Wesley about social media since we know that it will be a constant in his life due to the generation he will be growing up in.
So the break begins now. I will be back on facebook on May 25th, the day before the first wedding I shoot. I’m not sure in what capacity yet, and I can’t promise that Kyle will come back at the same time. We shall see.
In the meantime, I will be posting my weekly Wesley photos here so bookmark my blog and check back regularly. I will still be posting to instagram so you can check that out here for some of my daily photos: http://instagram.com/katieilcavallo. If you want to chat, call me! I also love to video chat through Skype or Google hang out. Just shoot me an email and we can set up a time to talk. You can get me at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Comments Make us Smile alot!
people are awesome!